|Ready in: 20 minutes||4 portions|
- 3 tbsp garlic infused oil
- 150g/5oz butternut squash, peeled, deseeded and cut into roughly 3cm/1¼in chunks
- 1 tsp yeast extract
- ½ tsp dried mixed herbs
- 1 celery stick, finely chopped
- 300g/10½ oz risotto rice
- 3 carrots (around 300g/10½ oz), peeled and coarsely grated
- 150ml/5fl oz dry white wine
- 200g/7oz spinach leaves
- 50g/1¾oz Parmesan cheese (or alternative vegetarian hard cheese), grated
- 1 tsp flaked sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a medium frying pan over a low–medium heat and fry the squash for 20 minutes, until tender and lightly browned, turning regularly.
Pour 1.2 litres/2 pints of water into a large saucepan and add the yeast extract, herbs and salt. Bring to a gentle simmer to make a quick stock, stirring occasionally. Leave to stand.
While the squash is cooking, heat the remaining oil in a large, saucepan and fry the celery for 2 minutes, stirring. Add the rice and cook for 1 minute more.
Stir in the wine and simmer until it has almost disappeared. Stir in the grated carrots and cook for a few seconds.
Add a ladleful of the warm stock (around 100ml/3½fl oz) to the pan and cook, stirring regularly, until it has been absorbed by the rice . Continue adding the stock, stirring well between each addition. Cook, until the rice is tender and the sauce is creamy. This will take 15–20 minutes.
Add two thirds of the Parmesan and spinach leaves, a handful at a time, and cook until the leaves are soft and the cheese has melted. Season with salt and pepper and stir in half the cooked squash.
Spoon into serving dishes and top with the remaining squash. Sprinkle with the rest of the cheese and serve immediately.
Back to RECIPES